Most Recent Posts

An Abuja chief magistrate’s court in Wuse has granted leave to Senator Dino Melaye (APC, Kogi) to travel to the United States for an appointment with his doctor.
Melaye was arraigned before the court on May 2 on charges bordering on his alleged escape from a police vehicle in Abuja on April 24, 2018.
At the resumed hearing yesterday, his counsel, John Odubela (SAN) prayed for an order of court directing the Commissioner of Police, FCT command to release Melaye’s international passport to enable him travel for medical treatment abroad.
Odubela told the court that Melaye is an asthmatic patient and his health conditions had deteriorated. A medical report from the National Hospital was attached as Exhibit DM3 disclosing the defendant’s health condition. He said following treatment at the US hospital, Melaye has another appointment at the hospital on June 28.
However, counsel for the police, Dr. Alex Izinyon (SAN), while opposing the application, told the court that the defence did not present any referral from the National Hospital to the said US hospital. He denied paragraphs in the defence’s affidavit which stated that the defendant was beaten and exposed to tear gas by the police
In her ruling, the presiding magistrate, Mabel Segun-Bello held that since the defendant’s condition existed before the case was filed and the appointment at the hospital abroad predated the trial, there was no need for a referral letter.
She ordered that the international passport should be released to the defendant and that he is to be out of the country for treatment for a period of 20 days (June 18 to July 8 2018). He was ordered to return the international passport to the custody of the Commissioner of Police of the FCT upon his return.
The magistrate had earlier granted an application for accelerated hearing made by the prosecution. In view of this, the court adjourned the matter to June 13 to enable the prosecution call three of its witnesses before Melaye travel out on June 18.
Credit: Daily Trust
Senator Dino Melaye (APC, Kogi West) has finally been granted bail by a Lokoja High Court.
Delivering his ruling on the bail application on Wednesday, Justice Nasir Ajanah described the medical report of the Sen Melaye as a merit factor to grant the third bail.
The judge granted the bail in the sum of N10million with a surety whose passport would be domiciled with the court.
Senator Melaye is been charged for allegedly arming deadly criminal gangs and convening a political rally that ended with the death of at least one attendee.
The police also said they had arrested suspects who confirmed that Mr. Melaye had provided arms and financial support to them.
Mr. Melaye denied the allegations, pleaded not guilty to the charges. He alleged that his ordeal was largely because of his outspoken stance against Kogi State Governor Yahaya Bello’s misrule and impunity.
Senator Dino Melaye
By Yekini Jimoh 

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the Western Senatorial District of Kogi State has resolved to go to court over the alleged malpractices that took place during the recall process conducted by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) for Senator Dino Melaye on April 28.

Rising from a special meeting held Tuesday in Kabba, the PDP in a communique signed by the Senatorial Chairman, Taiwo Kola-Ojo, reflected the disappointment of party members, who complained that though they never at any time signed the petition against Melaye, they were shocked to discover that their data and signatures were displayed during the verification exercise.

Fearing that the manipulations inherent in the exercise sign-posted a pilot scheme for perfecting rigging during the forthcoming general election in the country, party members have demanded the criminal prosecution of all those involved in signature forgery and in the presentation of deceased persons as sponsors of the recall.

The party also wondered how INEC could not see through the criminal manipulations in the voters’ data during the exercise, the Kogi West PDP served a notice to INEC to be ready to defend its negligence of duty, conspiracy and wasteful application of public fund.

The communique stated that the party’s action was not partisan but prompted by public good.

Members believed that the prosecution of the criminals and their collaborators will deter the commission in future and prevent wasteful expenditure of public resources.

While noting with pleasure that the failure of the exercise was substantially attributable to the role played by party members in the district, members again appealed to the people of Kogi West to avoid a repeat of the mistakes of the 2015 governorship election, during which many voted to substitute a tolerant and people-oriented party like the PDP to obtain the reign of terror, intimidation and persecution that prevails in Kogi State at present.

The communique further called on INEC to be more efficient in the on-going Continuous Voters’ Registration exercise in the state to avoid disenfranchisement of many intending voters, who are still unable to register, owing to poor access to registration machines.

The party commended its members for remaining steadfast in siding with the party, the hostility against opposition parties in the state notwithstanding.
Senator Dino Melaye
Mike Ozekhome, the lawyer representing embattled Kogi State senator, Dino Melaye, has opened up on the trial of his client earlier today.

Dino Melaye had on Thursday appeared before a Kogi court over alleged criminal conspiracy.

He was consequently remanded in Police custody till June 11.

Ozekhome, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, SAN, while speaking with newsmen, said the decision of the court was for the Inspector-General of Police to “take adequate care of the defendant.”

“What happened was that the prosecution asked the court to remand him in prison, but the judge refused and rather said the Inspector-General of Police should take care of Mr. Melaye until he fully recovers.”

“The police will have no alternative but to return Mr Melaye to the National Hospital Abuja, especially since hospitals in Kogi State are all on strike”.

As at time of filling report, it is not yet clear if the police will bring the senator back to Abuja or keep him in Lokoja, the Kogi State capital.
Seven persons accused of disrupting the empowerment programme organized by the Senator representing Kogi Central, Ahmed Ogembe last Saturday were on Friday arraigned at a senior Magistrate court sitting in Lokoja, the Kogi state capital.
Those accused are Moshood Shuaibu Onimisi, Abdullazeez Yusuf, Otaru Musa Onipe, Innocent, Iliyasu Momoh and Jimoh Raji and one other still at large.
They were alleged to have conspired to distrupt senator Ogembe’s women empowerment programme and inflicted bodily harms on those present at the venue.
The Court, however, granted bail to the accused persons.
The Senior Magistrate, Ojoma Racheal Haruna, while granting bail to the accused persons with the sum of N20,000 and a surety each in like sum, stressed that the surety must present 2 passport and the defendants must present 2 passport photographs while they must sign bond to be of good behaviour.
The prosecutor, Sgt Oladipupo Abimola told the court that the accused persons were dragged before the court for allegedly committing criminal conspiracy and mischief contrary to section 97(2) of the penal code.
All the accused, however, denied the allegations.
The Counsels to the accused persons, M. A Abbas and M.J Samuel made application for bail which was objected to by the prosecutor.
The court in its ruling held that the right to personal liberty as encapsulated under prohibition of section 35(1)) of 1999 constitution of Federal Republic of Nigeria (as amended) was sacred and could be only be denied where genuine circumstances exist.
“It is held that no genuine circumstance has been disclosed by prosecution which justifies a denial of the right to bail. Thus in pursuant to section 156 of Kogi State Administration of Criminal Justice Law 2017, the court admitted the defendants to bail.”
The Magistrate adjourned the case till 28th March, 2018 and ordered the immediate transfer of the case file to senior Magistrate Court in Okene where the offences were allegedly committed.
 
A fresh suit seeking to nullify the return and swearing in of Alhaji Yahaya Bello as governor of Kogi State has been adjourned to January 22, 2018 for judgment.

The case was instituted by some electorates from Kogi State came up for hearing today at the Federal High Court Abuja.  The processes filed by all the parties were adopted.

A fresh suit was filed before a Federal High Court sitting in Abuja on June 16 before Justice John Tsoho.

The litigants seek to nullify the return and swearing in of Bello on grounds that he was not validly nominated for the 2015 governorship election in the state as stipulated by Section 32 of the 2010 Electoral Act as amended.

The litigants also prayed the court to nullify the return of Yahaya Bello on the grounds that he was not a registered voter in Kogi State and cannot be sponsored by APC to participate in Kogi State electoral processes.

The Inspector General of Police, Commissioner of Police, Kogi state and Global Infrastructure Nigeria Limited have been dragged to court for 1 trillion naira damages with respect to their involvement in the 2008 Ogaminana killings.
 
It will be recalled that on the 26th of February 2008, the fundamental rights of the people of Ogaminana in Kogi State was violated through a reprisal attack by the Nigerian Police Force which led to extra-judicial killings and destruction of properties.
 
This occurrence was as a result of the stoppage of GINL theft of materials and equipments by the concerned youths of Ogaminana.
 
The attack led to the killing of 50 Nigerian innocent citizens, destruction by burning and razing down of over one hundred (100) houses, more than twenty (20) vehicles, and rendering over four thousand  (4,000) people homeless.
 
These were carried out by the agent/officers of the Inspector-General of Police and the Kogi State Commissioner of Police in collaboration with Global Steel Holdings Limited (GSHL) and Global Infrastructure Nigeria Limited (GINL).
 
Relying on section 33(1), 40, 43, and 46(1) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and Articles 3(2), 4, 11 and 14 of the African Charter on Human and People’s Rights,  Barr. Natasha Akpoti and Barr. Suleiman Abdulraheem via suit FHC/ABJ/CS/981/17 on behalf of the murdered Nigerian citizens and those whose properties were destroyed, have instituted legal actions against the Nigerian Police and GINL demanding damages of One Trillion Naira (1,000,000,000,000) for their unlawful, illegal and extra-judicial killings in the Ogaminana massacre.
 
.
 
A Lokoja Chief Magistrate Court has ordered the remand of a suspected Boko Haram member, Mustapha Adinoyi over alleged involvement in terrorist activities and illegal possession of firearms. 

Chief Magistrate Levi Animoku, who gave the order after the state Counsel had arraigned the accused in Lokoja, described the alleged offence as “a fearful one”. 
He said that Boko Haram activities had claimed lives of many Nigerians adding, that ”bail is not granted as a matter of course. 
"The offence is grievous and carries high penalty. The presumptuous of innocence notwithstanding, I refuse the bail of the accused. Consequently, the accused shall be remanded at the Federal Prisons, Koton-Karfe,” he said. 
Animoku, thereafter, adjourned the case until Oct. 17 for mention. 
Earlier, the prosecution led by Mohammed Abaji of the state Ministry of Justice told the court that Adinoyi was arrested following intelligence reports by a joint team of the Nigerian Army and the DSS. 
Abaji said that Adinoyi’s handset and SIM card analysis further revealed that he had several meetings with one Dauda Momoh also known as “General”, a Boko Haram commander on the wanted list of the DSS. 
He said that the accused also took the commander to the house of another member of the gang, one Abdulfatai where two single barrel guns, one toy gun, six assorted SIM cards and other weapons were recovered. 
The counsel prayed the court to take cognisance of the offences of criminal conspiracy contrary to Section 97(1) of the Penal Code and belonging to terrorist group contrary to Section four of the Terrorism (Prevention) (Amendment) Act 2013. 
The alleged offences also included illegal possession of firearms contrary to Section three of the Robbery and Firearms (Special Provision) Act CAP R11 2004.